Friday, December 2, 2011

I've been terrible at blogging.

I see that my last posts from blogspot are literally from a year ago, I thought I would write a nice summation of my life to catch up.

My life has been at stand-still lately. I'm in the arduous process of figuring out what I want to do with my career and basically the rest of my life. I plan on going to Vet School, but unfortunately the deadline to apply comes only once a year. Having missed the Fall 2012 chance to apply (and hopefully get accepted); I am waiting for the next fiscal year. In the meantime I hope to save up money to go to said school. Now if only I had a high paying job relevant to my field of chemistry... I've been applying to a lot of jobs, but I have to admit I was quite disillusioned about what it would be like to get a job doing chemistry (sans a PhD). I imagined doing extordinary things, like inventing new chemicals, but in reality it is quite monotonous. I still work at the library on the U campus, and although it was a really great place to work while I was at school I grow tired of the lack of stimulation to my brain. I applied to a few dozen labs, and hopefully soon change will happen.

I have been living with my boyfriend, Paul, for about a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier. We have a small one story house down on the west side of Salt Lake City. I wouldn't mind living in an apartment, but having a house to ourselves means that Paul and his band can make as much music as they want without having to stress about being polite to neighbors. Apart from being a musician, Paul works at Musician's Friend selling musical instruments which is a recent development (Congrats baby on the new job!). I love being with Paul. He is clever, creative, and logical, and we often find our minds traveling on the same logic 95% of the time, and the other 5% of the time is something clever that the other hasn't thought of. He makes me laugh and smile, and I couldn't imagine my life without him. He does so much for me, and I am eternally grateful.

At our place we aren't allowed pets and despite how much I wish I could adopt every animal I see, I can't. We do secretly own three hamsters, though. Might seem a bit excessive to a few people to have three hamsters, but we make a happy little family. (Don't worry-- you won't be getting Christmas cards with me, Paul and our hamsters anytime soon. Haha.) Living with my hamsters have made me more intuitive with animal interactions. I'm trying out some field biology on my precious little guys, and I do enjoy making toys for them.

Every first and third Thursday, my Mom and I co-lead a Girl Scout Troop with our neighbor Jan. We are currently working on a Simple Meals badge, and by the end of the Month starting the next badge in which I am in charge of. Ideally, I wanted to do the Drawing badge, but it is approximately close to cookie sales, and so I will be doing cookie sale related badges in prep for the busy cookie season.

Beyond that, I have been busy with general self improvement goals. Paul and I are trying to cook at eat at home more often than not, as well as trying to go to the gym everyday (but really end up going 5/7 days). My typical work out lately has been running and then weight lifting for an hour.
My usual mile is a 11 minute one, and I have slightly reduced my time (by like 30 seconds) since I started working out, but I find it a bit frustrating at my lack of speed improvement. I have noticed a difference with the weight I lift though, and I work doubly on my trouble areas (inner thigh, triceps, abs, etc) which are starting to get really strong. Paul though, has practically maxed out all the weights on the machines and will have to start doing free weights-- what a strong man I have!

Anyways, that's enough for now. I will post again (hopefully) soon.

2 comments:

LindsayAndrew said...

What a pleasant surprise to have a post pop up in my reader!! Life sounds like it is going great for you guys! You will be an amazing vet!! Would you want to focus on animals like local vets, or crazy ones like elephants?? Exciting!! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures!!

Jason and Abby said...

Welcome back to the blog world :) I've missed you. I'm glad to hear everything is going so well, it sounds like everything is pleasant and moving forward. I look forward to hearing about your adventures in Vet school. :)