Thursday, October 2, 2008

Girl Scouts

In case you hadn't heard, I have decided to help my Mom out and be a a co-leader to her Girl Scout troop. I am the leader for the Brownie Troop, which is super small. In years past my Mom would have the brownies skip up a year and do Junior things, but now the GS organization is doing something different for each age groups. In my Mom's troop there is a group of Cadets, Juniors, and Brownies. My Mom's friend Stacey is working with the Cadets since her daughter is there, my Mom is working with the Juniors and as I said, I'm with the Brownies. I was actually quite timid about how it was going to work out. This new system requires a lot of writing, reading, and things that are kind of like homework that they're suppose to do with their families but I was surprised on how well everything worked out today. As far as I know, all of the groups are doing steps to becoming a better leader and they talk about different things according to their age levels. For instance, the Brownie's "keys to being a leader" is discovering, connecting, and taking action.

Today was our first meeting, and I was actually pretty nervous on how things were going to be. The Brownie group is pretty small: Me, my niece Alannah, and another girl named Brenna. It was kind of awkward, so since Alannah goes to a different school she always gets to Girl Scouts later than Brenna and so it was like one on one for awhile but once Alannah got there things were easier, and I think everyone had a lot of fun. What our major activity was "discovering the girl scout law" in which I cut up the girl scout law into lines and I made up a scavenger hunt in which they had to figure out nature clues to find the little tokens then we pieces the girl scout law back together. The only thing I was sad about was that I wanted to use the nice weather so I hid the tokens/law scrolls outside and then some kids came over to the church and found one of them and took it away. I mean, it was a little obvious where it was hidden, but kind of frustrating that they would see that it was taped down and still take it. Oh well, I guess. Despite the missing law scroll/token the scavenger hunt was a big hit, it made me proud that Alannah and Brenna were saying things like "I bet our activity was way more fun that yours!" to the other age groups.

Next week, our activity seems kind of lame and I wonder if they will still have fun. My Mom talked about combining girls and activities since they both kind of apply to the same kind of principles plus its UEA. So I will let you know how it goes!

No comments: